Salcombe Harbour is the most Southerly harbour in Devon and is an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. Salcombe has to be one of the most beautiful sailing and boating places in the world. Salcombe Harbour offers a safe haven to visiting yachts. Salcombe harbour has a small local shell fishing fleet and this is really the only commercial traffic this leaves the harbour unspoilt as a natural habitat for an abundance of wildlife. This has made Salcombe a very popular holiday destination and is a favourite stop over for visiting yachts..
Salcombe does not have any river flowing into the estuary, so it is essentially a salt water inlet or Ria. Sandy beaches are located on the East Portlemouth side of the estuary and can be accessed from Salcombe town by boat or by the regular ferry service that runs all year round. Salcombe is a haven for water-sports and outdoor pursuits such as Sea Kayaking, Paddleboarding, Sailing, Powerboat Training, Coasteering, Cliff walks and wildlife spotting. The splendid natural harbour is great place to do your RYA training as you can learn in the wonderful surroundings and environment.
The leading lines into the harbour are well lit as are the isolated dangers on each side. The bar can be dangerous in bad weather, if in doubt call the harbour on Channel 14 for advice. Use up to date charts to enter the harbour.
The Salcombe Harbour office:
Bringing your boat to Salcombe for your holiday and need a mooring? The harbour have a variety of moorings available for visiting yachts and powerboats.
- When entering contact the harbour office on the details below and a mooring will be allocated. During busy times of the year you may well be escorted to a visitor's mooring.
- Salcombe Harbour is on VHF Channel 14
- Harbour Taxi is on VHF Channel 12
- Harbour email email@example.com
- The maximum speed in the harbour is 8 knots with a 6 knot speed zone in Salcombe and Kingsbridge. Please avoid creating excessive wash.
Salcombe Fuel barge
- Salcombe fuel barge is owned by Devon Marine Fuels and can be contacted on 01548 844261
- VHF Channel 6 call sign “Fuel Barge”
- Telephone the barge direct 0n 07801 798862
- Telephone on 01548 843791
- VHF Calling “Salcombe Harbour Taxi” on VHF Channel 12
- Harbour Taxi mobile 07807 643879
- When calling the harbour taxi please state clearly the yacht name, buoy number / location and number of passengers..
Last Updated: June 20, 2012